[cdt-dev] Remote debugging and live execution

>From my post to the CDT forum:

Hello all,
I have been developing a plugin for Eclipse CDT for my company for the past several years. One of the things that has given me headaches is that most debug views are not active unless the current context is a suspended/ stopped thread or a trace frame. All the while, commands sent via the console are easily handled by the gdbserver/stub.

This may have made sense years ago, and still makes sense for particular views (Registers View comes to mind). But for the majority of views that rely on information retrieved from the remote target this information is available whether or not the context is in a suspended state.

My questions: Is the current paradigm employed by Eclipse for debugging remote targets too restrictive in allowing views to be populated by information readily available from the remote target? Is this something worth submitting a bug report for?

Stephen Flynn

Back to the top