Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 9.0/Neon is available!

I have shifted my focus on Eclipse towards the hobbyist embedded system
developer. I have a good start of that with my Arduino C++ IDE.

My next step would be to provide more general support for
microcontrollers, with an eye initially on the FreeRTOS support that
Espressif provides for the ESP8266 and the upcoming ESP32.

That may lead us to more general FreeRTOS support for ARM controllers as
well, and then maybe into mbed. And with that, I imagine we start to
overlap with projects like GNU ARM Eclipse.

For MMU enabled chips, I do not plan on working on Linux for embedded. I¹m
trying hard to make this not sound like a commercial, but I firmly believe
embedded developers should be using real RTOS¹s (and it doesn¹t have to be
mine) when interacting with the real world in real-time and I have a lot
of work to do there to make that accessible to the hobbyist.

But given the size of the embedded Linux community, I¹d be OK with CDT
supporting it as well if someone wants to contribute to it.

I guess my point is, CDT is an open project with a pretty low barrier to
entry, aside from the Eclipse IP rules. If there are common parts that
would benefit the Eclipse community as a whole, we¹d love to see
contributions and have everyone work together on them.

Doug.

On 2016-06-24, 2:36 AM, "cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Liviu