Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 9.0/Neon is available!

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:13 PM, Liviu Ionescu <ilg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 23 Jun 2016, at 21:16, Marc Khouzam <marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Some of these nice features could go directly into CDT.
> Have you considered submitting them?

yes, I did, and initially I even contributed some small patches to fix bugs that affected my plug-ins, but the entire process was very complicated and time consuming.

on the other hand, although there might be some features that could go directly into CDT, the heavy features, like the ones required by the debugging plug-ins, would probably require some work. I had serious difficulties to add things to DSF, probably many due to my poor understanding of its great design; but apparently simple tasks like starting a gdb server before the gdb client, and changing the initialisation sequences of the gdb client turned into real adventures, that took quite a lot of time to figure out how to address, and some of the solutions were actually kludges that I'm not very proud of.

so, if there is interest, sure, we can consider adding some of the GNU ARM Eclipse features to CDT, but I doubt it is just a matter of submitting some patches, it might require some more efforts and resources that I currently cannot afford. of course, if some silicon vendors would decide to support the development, I'd be glad to contribute, but, from my past experience, many silicon vendors were very happy to use the plug-ins for free (see KDS from Freescale/NXP), but never considered to support the development.

Perhaps Linaro might be a better place to ask for supporting the development? They already have funding from silicon vendors and the larger ARM ecosystem... (none of which I work for ;)
Another thought would be the Eclipse Foundation itself, or getting them involved in asking Linaro.

Cheers.

--Tim (Intel)

regards,

Liviu