Re: [cdt-dev] New Build System (-> xPacks/xcdl)

> On 23 Jun 2016, at 00:00, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> ... Iąm not sure how much time it saved
> users over simply having a well structured Makefile.

in my case, a project is build from a collection of xPacks with dependencies between them. inside each pack there are multiple components, which being collections of source files or folders, again with multiple dependencies between them and from configuration options.

I'm not sure I understand your approach. how do you expect the user to manually maintain "a well structured Makefile" for this?

in my design each xPack contains all details required for the build (where are the source folders, where are the include folders, and what are the compile options for each folder/file), so automatically generating the Makefile is not only possible, but expected.

>> and to extract the configuration required by the indexer, please let me
>> know.
>
> Thereąs been discussion in CDTąs Bugzilla on how to do that. The thinking
> is that we can get that information out of CMake. That is a major
> requirement for our CMake support I mentioned in my original post and will
> be there one way or the other.

since you mentioned you'll be working on the indexer, please be sure that in the new design you do your best to match the options used by the indexer with those used by the build.

one temptation is to over-simplify things and assume all files are compiled with the same options/macros, but this is not the case, the indexer should be able to use different configurations for different folders/files.

regards,

Liviu

Back to the top