Re: [cdt-dev] New Build System (-> xPacks/xcdl)

On 2016-06-22, 4:41 PM, "cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Liviu
Ionescu" <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of ilg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 22 Jun 2016, at 23:32, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>wrote:
>>
>> ... Just out of curiosity, if it is similar to CMake, why not just use
>>CMake?
>
>you probably missed the second requirement listed in my message.
>
>if you know a method to manage a cmake configuration from a gui (in the
>sense of adding source folders, include folders, compile options,
>dependencies, etc)

Fair enough. I can see a continuum of styles users prefer from 1) make
good defaults so I don¹t even have to think about it, 2) simplify and
present a GUI, 3) just let me enter the information myself.

The current system did a pretty bad job at 3 which is what I¹m trying to
fix while also doing a good job at 1. Haven¹t thought much about 2 since
having been involved with the original managed build, it was really hard
to do well. At the end of the day, I¹m not sure how much time it saved
users over simply having a well structured Makefile. But that¹s just a
personal opinion.

> and to extract the configuration required by the indexer, please let me
>know.

There¹s been discussion in CDT¹s Bugzilla on how to do that. The thinking
is that we can get that information out of CMake. That is a major
requirement for our CMake support I mentioned in my original post and will
be there one way or the other.