Re: [cdt-dev] missing org.eclipse.cdt.debug.mi.core in Neon?

> mark them as deprecated, and just keep them there for a while,
> until everything will be migrated to 9.0 and compatibility with 8.x
> will no longer be required.

If I understand this correctly, the request is to defer API cleanup until GNU ARM Eclipse no longer supports CDT 8.x. When will that be? And who's to say that at that point, another CDT product isn't caught off guard by the cleanup and requests the same thing--another deferral. And let's keep in mind that API cleanup (breakage) can only happen on a major release, which does not happen every year. It's happening this summer, but who knows when the next opportunity will be. I'm just wondering if this effectively comes down to a request to never clean up API if its breaks backward compatibility. Products that deploy different versions for different Eclipse release trains is not unheard of. It's for sure a pain for both consumer and producer, but it's doable and many have done it.

That said, API that is removed should have been marked deprecated for at least 2-3 years, IMO. If that wasn't the case here, it seems reasonable to cry foul.

Back to the top