Re: [cdt-dev] request for API change exemption in M7

Hi Marc,

> Is it because someone extending the interface could already be using that name?

I think that's exactly the reason. See footnote 2 here:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Evolving_Java-based_APIs_2#Evolving_API_Interfaces
"Interfaces that are defined to be implemented by clients should not include fields (==constants) at all"

If you can mark your interface @noimplement, then adding a field (==constant) would not be breaking binary compatibility.
Changing the value of the constant however, might break binary compatibility in case the constant can be used at compile time.

Martin