Re: [cdt-dev] Antwort: [Newsletter] Re: CMake support in Eclipse CDT

On 2015-12-07, 3:23 PM, "cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Martin
Weber" <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
fifteenknots505@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Am Sonntag, 6. Dezember 2015, 20:25:18 schrieb Doug Schaefer:
>> On 2015-12-06, 8:35 AM, "cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Martin
>> Weber" <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of

>> >Doug, which binaries to launch? Compilers and linkers? These are
>>launched
>> >by
>> >the actual build tool (make, ninja, etc).
>>
>> No I mean the build output. The things we¹re going to launch at launch
>> time for run, debug, etc. Mainly all the add_executable()¹s.
>
>Ah, I see. Build artifacts.
>But CDT already finds these, regardless of the values entered in the
>Settings|
>Build Artifact tab; the executables show up in a Binaries folder in the
>project explorer (at least as long your to-level source folder is the
>project
>folder). Tested with the cmake-plugin I mentioned earlier.

It’s not quite that simple. I would want to present the executables added
by “add_executable” in the launch bar. The launch delegate would then find
the right version of that executable in the build output folder that
matches the target and mode.

The CDT will list each binary but doesn’t link the concept that a release
and a debug version of a Mac and a Raspberry Pi version of the binary are
actually the same binary just built with a different build configurations.

And they need to be added to the launch bar before a build happens and the
binaries get created. We only know they exist at that point by looking at
the CMakeLists.txt file.

Complicated, but it’s what makes an IDE great ;)