[cdt-dev] Antwort: [Newsletter] Re: CMake support in Eclipse CDT

> > On 07 Dec 2015, at 13:33, Martin.Runge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > But I saw at least on case (MinGW on Windows) where gcc was not in
> the PATH -> cmake did not find the compiler while generating the
> Makefile and aborted.
>
> FYI, in the embedded world it is common to have multiple versions of
> different toolchains installed, and it is mandatory that they **are
> not** in the system PATH.
>
> the GNU ARM Eclipse build plug-in takes a lot of efforts to manage
> these multiple paths, store them in different scopes (per project,
> per workspace, per Eclipse) and dynamically update the current path
> when the build starts.

Exactly. That's why Eclipse needs details about the toolchain itself. I only see these two ways:
1) specify everything in the toolchain file -> cmake will know the paths -> compile_commands.json -> eclipse
2) Eclipse knows the toolchains -> tells cmake which one to use / generate toolchain file

Having more than one gcc in PATH leads to a mess.

Martin

Back to the top