Re: [cdt-dev] Microsoft Visual Studio to support clang front-end

From: <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Sascha Konrad <konradsa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 9:35 AM
To: "cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [cdt-dev] Microsoft Visual Studio to support clang front-end

Interesting article about Microsoft Visual Studio starting to support the clang compiler front-end for parsing code:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/10/21/microsoft_promises_clang_for_windows_in_november_visual_c_update/

Any thoughts of doing something similar for Eclipse CDT? It would alleviate a lot of the parsing and indexing issues of complex code frequently encountered, and now with C++ evolving more rapidly than ever before, it may save some work in the long run.

I think about it all the time. But just have too many other things on the go to fit it in. It’s probably a massive amount of work to hook it up to our source navigation and content assist features. And there are design decisions to be made about how to hook up the native library so that it doesn’t take down the mothership Eclipse. But you are right, I think it would save us in the long run, thought we’ve done a pretty good job keeping up so far.

Sascha

Back to the top