Re: [cdt-dev] Antwort: CMake support in Eclipse CDT

On Thursday, October 08, 2015 11:36:49 Martin.Runge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Von: Alexander Neundorf <neundorf@xxxxxxx>

> > An: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

> > Kopie: Martin.Runge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> > Datum: 2015-10-07 21:07

> > Betreff: Re: [cdt-dev] Antwort: CMake support in Eclipse CDT

> > > My approach is like this:

> > > - .project and .cproject stay at the projects root and can be checked

> > > in (new project type: CMake project)

> > if I understand correctly, the directory layout is something like this:

> > yproject/

> > myproject/.project

> > myproject/.cproject

> > myproject/src/

> > myproject/build-debug/

> > myproject/build-release/

> > myproject/build-whatever/

> > In which directory is the top-level CMakeLists.txt located ?

> myproject/CMakeLists.txt

> next to .project and .cproject and all three can be shared between users.

Ah, hmm.

For cmake it wouldn't be Ok to generate a file in the source tree (i.e. the .project and .cproject file next to the CMakeLists.txt), but for Eclipse this is different.

So, currently the .project and .cproject files cannot be shared between users or between different builds. They currently contain e.g. the build targets, the include dirs and more.

This will all be removed and everything will be parsed from the compile_commands.json file ?

So the user will then be able to choose e.g. "Import cmake-based project", and this will create the .project and .cproject files next to the CMakeLists.txt ?

> > > so actually, new CDT project nature and then read all the neccessary

> > > information out of the compile_commands.json file.

> > There is "currently" work going on to extend cmake in that

> > direction, i.e. not

> > only generated the compile_commands.json file, but much more

> > ("currently" because the discussions on the cmake-devel list are a few

> > months ago, but Steven is working on it). Maybe that's interesting

> > for you.

> Yes, very intresting, indeed. Thank you.I'll hav a look at it.

it's these two threads:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/10711

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.programming.tools.cmake.devel/12658

Alex