[cdt-dev] CDT and GDB over serial performance

Hi CDT/GDB experts,

I’ve been trying to use CDT for some Linux Kernel debugging (using kgdboc, which goes over a 115.200 baud serial line). I’ve not been using the “GDB Hardware Debugging” launch but the standard DSF-GDB Manual Launcher since my remote serial line is available through a Telnet portserver.

It turns out that CDT is unbearably slow in this scenario: Initial connect in the range of 2 minutes; operations like simple “suspend on breakpoint” in the range of 15 seconds. I suspect the reason is, that 200 Kernel Threads are detected and CDT tries to do much target introspection … so there’s a lot of traffic making the UX extremely slow.

Using GDB commandline in this scenario works quite nicely, commandline GDB requests one item of information at a time only. I think ideally, CDT could add a lot of value to this (source display, variable hovers, …) so I am wondering if there’s any switches to tune performance, ie turn off target introspection that is unnecessary ?

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Owner – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6

Back to the top