Re: [cdt-dev] Build System redo

On 2015-03-19 02:25, Alena Laskavaia wrote:
My 2c is that I don't think we need to get rid of internal builder. I think we should just make clear
interface between build configuration and actual build system, so its easily swappable.
And +2 for replacing xml madness with API's. XML is there for de-coupling and lazy loading.
When we start dealing with multiple inheritance in xml its clearly overboard... (and good luck debugging it)

The two most important things (I think) which needs to be addressed are (1) build model needs to be committable (the .cproject file is really not, as spontaneous changes appear in it for no good reason) and (2) builds need to be easily done offline without having to start an entire Eclipse instance. Fixing those to things should be the firstmost concern (IMHO). My number (3) is to have a build model which is portable across different platforms (Linux/Windows/etc). (Insert reference to the Spanish Inquisition here...)

Describing toolchains in XML is simply not flexible enough (at least not from my perspective, where there are lots of compiler options with very hairy semantics and interrelationships between each other), especially if you want to have any sort of completeness in covering all available tool options. We're moving towards a solution where we generate the plugin.xml file, but having a Java API to do that dynamically at runtime would make lots of things much simpler for us.

/Jesper