Re: [cdt-dev] Build System redo

On 2015-03-17, 3:21 PM, "Vladimir Prus" <vladimir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>As I have argued in my talk, I think the ideal architecture consists of
>minimal build system API, over pipes or websockets,
>CDT UI that uses that API, and an external build system that implements
>this API. Any 'business logic' build code
>that we have in Eclipse is code not available for command-line work,
>which is not desirable.

Yes, we need to have that discussion. My main concern is not locking us
into any one build system. Though I¹m sure Boost.Build is really great :).
I really want to support Qt users writing their own qmake project files, I
want to support CMake users writing their own CMakeLists.txt files, and so
on. And I want to provide something for the VisualStudio/Xcode refuges so
they don¹t have to learn any of that.

And, yes, you need to be able to build without firing up Eclipse,
especially on CI servers. So rather than generate Makefiles at build time,
I¹d prefer we provide high level editors for them and check those files
into source control, much like the pom.xml editor. And before someone
complains about users editing the managed files, I¹d rather pay the price
of them ignoring comments not to change anything and breaking stuff if we
can give the rest a great experience.

Doug.

Back to the top