[cdt-dev] Do we need to keep compatibility with Eclipse 4.4 in CDT 8.7?

This question came up inĀ https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/43178/. Do we need to keep compatibility with Eclipse 4.4 in CDT 8.7? In the past we kept compatibility with Eclipse 3.x after 4.x was already was out, but otherwise we supported only the latest Eclipse platform. Since the target platform definition points to 4.5, it will be hard to keep 4.5 dependencies from creeping in. 4.5 has few pretty attractive features, for example, JobGroups, Job.join(long timeout, IProgressMonitor monitor) method, generified Adaptable.getAdapter to name just a few.

I propose that we drop 4.4 compatibility requirement for CDT 8.7.

Please voice your objections if you have them.

-sergey

Back to the top