From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Alex Blewitt [alex.blewitt@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: February 20, 2015 11:22 AM
To: Marcel Bruch; CDT General developers list.
Subject: [cdt-dev] Error reporting with code recommenders

CDT developers,

I’ve been looking through a few reports that are being reported with the new tool that Marcel has helped put together. It sends reports from the error log that Eclipse looks after.

Some of the reports are due to missing program files (like make, cp etc.) such as the following:

https://dev.eclipse.org/recommenders/committers/confess/#/problems/54c4f32bbee810030da0ab01/details

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "g++": Unknown reason
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.Spawner.exec(Spawner.java:349)
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.Spawner.<init>(Spawner.java:91)
at org.eclipse.cdt.utils.spawner.ProcessFactory.exec(ProcessFactory.java:91)
at org.eclipse.cdt.core.CommandLauncher.execute(CommandLauncher.java:194)
at org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.BuildRunnerHelper.build(BuildRunnerHelper.java:263)

These aren’t real errors as such, so I’d like to find a way of filtering them out. However, I have a couple of thoughts:

1. Should these errors be reported in the Eclipse log at all? Would it be better to display a different dialog to the user and catch the exception, rather than letting the Eclipse platform handle it?
2. Is there a better message that could be reported for the user, such as “Please install tool g++” or “Configure the path to g++ from the following preference page”?
3. Should we be ignoring IOException: Cannot run program “.*”: Unknown reason, and keeping the behaviour the same? (This is mostly to Marcel, who knows how the ignoring errors work)

Alex

Back to the top