Re: [cdt-dev] Joint CDT and Multicore debug conf call minutes

If nobody objects we don't have to wait to wait till march to switch...

What we do with our product as we update plugin as needed, i.e. if you start using feature of java 8 you update your plugin
manifest. Of cause maven global pom has to be using jdk 8 to compile.

On Mon, Feb 9, 2015 at 1:00 PM, Marc Dumais <marc.dumais@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
+1

For those who have not followed the news about Java 8, Marc-Andre I think refers-to the new "default methods" feature. Using this, we should be able to add new methods to interfaces, without breaking API:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/IandI/defaultmethods.html

On 02/09/2015 11:27 AM, Marc-André Laperle wrote:

On 2015-02-09 10:09 AM, Marc Khouzam wrote:
As for Java 8, does making the switch require API breakage?  If we modify existing code to take advantage of java 8's nice features, yes, that could break API, but do we have enough time to make all the changes we'd want to?  Or will we want to continue those changes for the next major release after Mars (requiring a 10.0 version)?

I think it would be worth switching to Java 8 without breaking the API. We wouldn't be able to Java8-ify the APIs but there is a lot that can be done internally. Also, the "End of Public Updates" for Java 7 is April 2015.
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

Marc-André

--

line