Not sure, if someone did it already, but would it help CDT too, if someone would gather/prepare these styles and guidelines by a Oomph-setup?

Regards,
kessel

Am 19.01.2015 um 17:44 schrieb Alena Laskavaia:
+1 for using "Organize Imports". I think people should enabled this as save action.

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM, Marc Khouzam <marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I wasnt' suggesting going through CDT's code to clean that up :)
Maybe just a recommendation to avoid using import wildcards.
Actually, the recommendation should be to use Eclipse's automatic import feature (ctrl-sht-O) all the time.  That will avoid a rearrangement of imports when some other change is made by someone else.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Doug Schaefer [dschaefer@xxxxxxx]
Sent: January 19, 2015 11:09 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Using '*' for java imports

From: Marc Khouzam <marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Monday, January 19, 2015 at 11:02 AM
To: "CDT General developers list." <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I believe using wildcards for imports can, in some cases, cause issues.
http://www.coderanch.com/how-to/java/WildCardVsSpecificImports
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/147454/why-is-using-a-wild-card-with-a-java-import-statement-bad/147461#147461

This question should not apply to CDT in general if we we use Ctrl-Shift-O to manage our imports since Eclipse won't use wildcards unless you have more than 99 similar imports.  I think there is only one file were that happens, which triggered Elena's question.

I agree not to ask people to change their settings.  For that one file, I'll probably change it back myself when I notice it, but I won't ask others to do it.

Now, to my surprise, I do see that wildcards are used once in a while in CDT for imports.  Those are imports that were included by hand.  I think we should avoid those as a general rule.

I'd would suggest CDT not uses wilcards for imports unless Eclipse does it itself using Ctrl-Shift-O.  This addresses Elena's concern, and makes the code more robust.

Opinions?

Does it really make the code more robust? I just want to make sure if we’re going to spend a lot of time on an issue, that it’s a real issue.

Doug.

Marc