From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Alena Laskavaia [elaskavaia.cdt@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 1:59 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Launch bar 'stop' button kills all launches

For killing launch I said "it used to". Doug changed it to kill all with idea to review with community I am guessing.
Play button did give me trouble before when debugging. I was always trying to press it instead of resume, and that would re-launch whole app which was quiet annoying when you just trying to resume :)
Terminate would do the same as debug terminate (mostly) - so it was not an issue (it will terminate launch associated with selection, at least it used to)

Current actions are
Build - build project associated with LC, even build before launch is disabled in LC
Launch - create lc is none for selected desc, launch lc in the selected mode
Stop - stop all builds, terminate all launches (for now)

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Marc Khouzam <marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We use to kill only launch which is associated with active launch configuration.

Is that what the Launch Bar in CDT is doing?  I don’t see that.  If I launch a “C/C++ Attach to Application” and a “C/C++ Application” sessions and press the launch stop button, they both die.

To me, one thing that seems relatively straightforward is that the button should kill the currently selected launch, not all launches.

I don’t think there is much value in killing all launches (and there is a “Terminate/Disconnect all” context menu for that, if really needed).

How about we start with that?

Now, if we go into more details, the thing to note is that the Launch Bar buttons are ‘launch’ buttons, not ‘run/debug’ buttons.

So the launch ‘play’ button is very different than the debug ‘resume’ button, although they have a similar-looking icon.

I didn’t find that distinction hard to get used to for the ‘play’ button.

On the other hand, the launch ‘stop’ button and the run/debug ‘terminate’ button gave me more trouble.  For some reason,

as a user, I thought the launch ‘stop’ could be used as ‘terminate’, which is not true for Debugging.  ‘terminate’ is a retargetable

command that different debuggers use differently; CDT’s debugger allows you to terminate the process without terminating the

debug session.  The launch ‘stop’ is not the same and probably should not be; but I think we may have a UX issue here because

that distinction was not obvious to me.  Maybe it is simply a question of changing the icon?  Do other agree with my impression?