Re: [cdt-dev] Launch bar sorting

I look at it differently. Wherever there is some kind of prime real estate, for example the tab bar space, different users may want to prioritize things to appear in it differently. This is a product of human individuality, not a drawback of a UI design. One size simply doesn't fit all.

-sergey

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
My eclipse bug list reminds me every day :)

That's the bug I was referring too when I mentioned polarizing UI that needs a preference. The trick there, though, would be to provide a better way of handling the situation when you have more editors open than you have space in the tab bar. But that has to be good or you'll make everyone angry...

Doug

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Sergey Prigogin [eclipse.sprigogin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2014 3:37 PM

To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Launch bar sorting

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
That might work. No more than 5, though. 3 might be better. How many configs do people usually flip between?

And, it's not about me and my "preferences" (sorry :) ). Just don't create a preference unless you actually expect users to go find it. We often (almost always) use preferences as a crutch when we can't decide what's best for our users. Decide how you want them to work and what you want them to see. If it the UI is really polarizing, then use a preference to appease angry users. Mind you, the trick is to have no angry users.

Doug.

-sergey