Re: [cdt-dev] Handling huge C/C++ project in eclipse

Hi,

I guess, you are not the only one.

Since Eclipse 4.x hit the ground, Eclipse looks like getting bloated, lacking and consuming much more RAM.
Not everyone has the luck, that he gets that fast machines with lots of RAM.
My working machine e.g. "only" has 8GB of RAM.
But Eclipse isn't the only tool I use, and some other programs also consume 500MB RAM and more.
And more and more programs here are also based on Java, may that be Lotus Notes, MKS Integrity Client, AUTOSAR Configuration tools ...

So, I wonder, what the actual usage of Eclipse should be.
Have several separate Eclipse installations, which have only the plugins needed for the specific usage?
e.g. one for C/C++, one for maybe Modeling tasks, etc. pp.

Or does it depend on the workspace and it's contained projects?
But switching all the time between the workspaces isn't that nice either.

I'm not a Java developer as you might already know, so I also have no clue, what these VM settings actually have what effect.
I only found out, that one should set the Xmx to something like 1024M on Windows. But I still get sometimes an Out-of-Memory, or Heapspace error, and sometimes, Eclipse just needs several seconds before it is actually reacting on actions I do, like calling the context menu on a project or such simple things.

So, what should one do?
I guess, this is not just a problem of CDT itself, but the whole Eclipse zoo of plugins.
What are the intentions also of the Eclipse foundation? Are there any activities now to get the 4.x stream to perform like the old 3.x stream?