[cdt-dev] Targets in the LaunchBar

Hey gang, I'm struggling with how to model targets in the LaunchBar. (As a reminder of what the LaunchBar looks like, see here: http://cdtdoug.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Screen-Shot-2014-03-14-at-10.08.11-AM.png)

By default, there is a target called Local Machine. There's no semantics to that target, and it really means do whatever the launch configuration naturally does, which more often than not is to launch the application on the local machine.

For Momentics, targets are the QNX-y things we launch on. We have our own target management system which predates everything you see at Eclipse, so we've stuck with it. We have a target registry that maintains the list of targets and we produce that for the LaunchBar. But I don't think it would be wise to force everyone to use our target management system.

As I have it now in the CDT, targets are very simple things that only have an id and a name. The launch config descriptors provide a list of valid targets they can launch on. The default launch config descriptor simply returns an object for the local machine. The idea is that the descriptors know what it means to launch on a target so they can deal with changes in active target and feeding it to the launch delegates however they like. So it can be whatever target system makes sense.

The problem is what do we do with the CDT itself. We've never really modelled launching on targets. We do have the remote launch that uses the RSE. But there's no semantics that link it to a project. This could be done by adding a nature to the project to enable remote launches. Or it could be done by marking toolchains as cross toolchains so we can figure out what targets their build artifacts can run on. We have the cross toolchain, but it's woefully inadequate for this since it doesn't keep track of the real target platforms (os, arch).

Has anyone given this any thought or is everyone happy using their own target management system? How would we use TCF in place of RSE? Or do we want to go through the effort to support remote launching in the CDT proper at all?

Look forward to your thoughts,
Doug.

Back to the top