Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 8.4: gdb debugging session freeze

This happens on Windows.  To work around it you can use
  set new-console on
to tell GDB to start the debugged program in a new console. The output of the program will be shown in a separate window that will be closed after the program exits.

You should be able to put that in your .gdbinit file.

Marc