From: "teodor.madan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <teodor.madan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: CDT General developers list. <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Regarding marker in the external file

Generally speaking, marker persistence (aka resource on which it is created) is not necessary tied to annotation displayed in an editor.

You can create a marker on a project/workspace resource with a special attribute recognized by your model.  And then attach to editors a custom annotation model that would search through existing markers and display annotations for the relevant ones.

One example of such annotation model is org.eclipse.cdt.internal.ui.editor.ExternalSearchAnnotationModel . If you create a marker on any resource with an attribute ICModelMarker.C_MODEL_MARKER_EXTERNAL_LOCATION with value of external file path, an annotation will be displayed in editor for that path.

Another example with breakpoints is org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.MIBreakpointsManager.addBreakpointProblemMarker. You can attempt to set a breakpoint on external file and follow how the new problem marker is set.

Teo