[cdt-dev] UX Discussion - Source Folder vs Normal Folder Concept

Hi,

As there was an UI Discussion about the New Project Wizard, I just wanted to start one on the current implementation of the Folder Concept.

I personally get really confused about, what is the difference of a "Source Folder" and a plain folder.
This has also some usage differences like the following.

Say, I create a new project with the "Executable" "Hello World ANSI C Project", I get by default a Source Folder and in there the main.c file created.
On the project context menu, I can now create these two kind of folder:
* Source Folder
* Folder

If I take "Folder", I get a folder with a plain folder icon (unlike the "Source Folder" with that folder icon and that little blue "something" overlayed (Sorry,, but I can't see what that little blue somehting is there)

Now, if I rightclick on the new folder, and select "New->New Header File", it allows me only to put that into the "Source Folder", but not in the plain folder. I don't even see the advantage of the "Source Folder", because if I put a header in there, the compiler does not automatically detect it, unless I add even that "Source Folder" to the Paths&Symbols page to the include paths.

So, WHAT is the actual difference between that plain folder and the "Source Folder"?
Why do we need to differentiate between them?
Why I can not create e.g. by "New Header File" or "New Source File" into ANY folder? The menu entries of "New Header File" and "New Source File" are even not shown on the plain folders.
I did not find anything in the Help installed with CDT.

Strange as it is, in a Makefile project, the menu entries for "New Header File" and "New Source File" are shown again.

Is it only me, that is confused here, or are there other ones confused the same?

Back to the top