Re: [cdt-dev] UX Discussion - New Project Wizard

+1

Xavier Raynaud

On 04/23/2014 05:50 PM, Bill Swanson wrote:

Hi, Doug --

When looking at the New Project wizard for Tilera's Eclipse-based IDE, a key issue I had was how much prior knowledge the wizard expects the user to have in order to make the right choices: for example, how Eclipse organizes projects (e.g. new vs. existing directory, workspace vs. external directory, makefile vs. managed), what kinds of projects can be built by managed projects (.exe, .so, .a), and what the various toolchain options represent (GCC vs. cross vs. "other toolchain" vs.  proprietary compiler X  vs. proprietary compiler Y), etc.

As a specific example of the toolchain issue, in another Eclipse-based IDE I've looked at there are multiple toolchain selections, which ultimately correspond to different versions/implementations of the platform's compiler, but from the wizard there's no obvious indication of which toolchain name corresponds to what compiler version. This matters because there are features supported by one compiler but not by another, so you have to go in knowing not only what compiler version you need for your project, but also which of the otherwise indistinguishable toolchain options selects that version.

If you want a use-case, think of new customer X who's just picked up our Eclipse-based IDE for the first time, and isn't comfortable with IDEs to begin with, and wants to just create a project around some existing code to try stuff out. If said user has to read through the online help just to figure out how to create the right project, or has to create one or more incorrect projects first just to discover which are the right options to use, it starts them off on entirely the wrong foot with the tool, and gives a terrible impression of the usability of the IDE overall. And this gets repeated for every new customer.

Yes, of course, once you know (or have read in the docs somewhere) which two picks out of the lists you always need, the wizard is simple to use, but to my mind this kinda subverts the idea of having a wizard in the first place. The current wizard is optimized for efficient selection, not for discoverability, and that works against us if we want to encourage use of CDT-based IDEs. In other words, rather than trying to figure out how to bucket project types, we should tackle the problem by first finding out what the user wants to do, and then have the wizard decide from that what project type and/or toolchain is right for the job.

The approach I took with Tilera's IDE was to add an extension point that allowed inserting a custom "first page" in the wizard, ahead of the existing one. This page asks a few well-chosen introductory questions that:

   (a) express things from the user's point-of-view and

   (b) cover like 90% of the most common projects people create.

This page then populates subsequent page(s) and/or tweaks the created project accordingly, the goal being that unless you're doing something really unusual, you can immediately click Finish and get a properly configured project, perhaps without even looking at the other wizard pages.

Here are examples of these kinds of introductory questions, which we use in tile-eclipse's New Project wizard:

- where do you want to create this project?

    (o) in a subdirectory of the IDE workspace named:

            [ text box ]

    (  ) in a new/existing directory outside the workspace:

            [ pathname text box ] [ Browse... ]

- how do you want to build it?

   (o) Makefile: use your own existing makefile

   (  ) Managed: IDE generates makefile(s) for:

        (o) an executable

        (  ) a shared library (.so)

        (  ) a static libary (.a)

- which platform is this project intended for?

     (o) Tilera hardware (cross-compiled with Tilera C/C++ compiler)

     (  ) Linux/x86 platform (compled with standard Linux GCC)

In other words, turn the problem around and give users enough ammunition in the wording of the questions to know whether they're making the right choices, or if the provided choices even cover the type of project they have in mind. (Like, what if someone decides to create an Eclipse project to build the Linux kernel? Don't laugh, someone wanted to do that!)

We could generalize these kinds of questions enough to provide a default "intro page" (or pages) along these lines for the default project & toolchain types that come with CDT, but it would still make sense to define a customization API such that an integrator could provide an alternative, tailored intro page for the platform. This custom "first page" (or its provider class) may also need access to the constructed project to perform additional configuration steps for platform-specific selections. For example, another question we ask is what Tilera MDE installation to use for the cross-compiler, and we customize the project's environment variables accordingly.

Yeah, it's a bit more UI than just having a couple of quick pick-lists, but that's kinda the point. The current wizard assumes a lot of prior knowledge, and leans towards compactness at the expense of clarity. We may want to find a way to rework that, while also making it customizable by developers.

William R. Swanson (traveler@xxxxxxxxxx)

Senior Software Engineer

Tilera Corporation

1900 West Park Drive, Suite 290