Re: [cdt-dev] UX Discussion - New Project Wizard

On 23 Apr 2014, at 17:28, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ... It's templates organized into somewhat random categories. What do you guys have for project types? Would ARM micro-controller be a project type?

In GNU ARM Eclipse Plug-ins (http://gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/blog/), most projects are for embedded applications, and fit in the 'bare metal images' category, but some are also usual static libraries. In the previous versions of the plug-in I aded new project types, but for the current version I decided to put all my templates (and I have some quite complicated ones, you can take a look at https://sourceforge.net/p/gnuarmeclipse/se/ci/master/tree/ilg.gnuarmeclipse.templates.stm/templates/stm32f4xx_exe_c_project/template.xml for a sample), in the 'Executable' type.

However, for the next version of the templates, I plan to expand configurability even further, and, when new projects are created, to allow the user to decide if all source files will be added to the current 'Executable' project, or will be grouped in separate libraries, automatically created and referred.

I guess this did not help much figure out what a project type should be...

The observation that we have 'templates organized into somewhat random categories' is probably quite valid.

Liviu

Back to the top