Re: [cdt-dev] Multicore visualizer

Please open a bug.  Bill Swanson and Marc Dumais are in a better
position to answer that.

> 1. About contributing the visualizer:
> For now, the visualizer also depends on some Kalray underlying tools (not
> only CDT).
> Therefore, your assumption is false: a user cannot play with the Kalray
> MPPA with the CDT out-of-the-box.
> He also needs to install the complete Kalray toolchain.

I guess the toolchain could be used by CDT eventually.
But that is not my business, I just wanted to point out the potential
of having all this available to users.

> However, I agree with you. It will be great to contribute it.
> Perhaps I can start with 3 things:
> o The Kalray visualizer reuses 80% of the code from
> org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.multicorevisualizer.ui
> Unfortunately, this code is internal, and packages are not exported.
> Therefore, I copied all the classes from this plug-in.
> A good starting point will be to expose this API.
> Are you OK with that point ?

If you found the API appropriate for use then making it public is not
a problem.  Our aim is not for you to copy the code.

Can you open a bug?

> o MulticoreVisualizerLoadMeter, and
> It's nice to have load metrics on visualizer.
> However, I think we can have a more generic approach here, because
> several metrics can be provided (load, but also power consumption, number
> of context-switches, ITs, ....) I suggest to change the API, in order to be able
> to "plug" several metric providers (and not having a specific API for each of
> them).
> What's your opinion on that ?

That was our long term plan.  We wanted to be able to generically add/show
different metrics pluging them in using a generic approach.
It was difficult to do without a couple of examples to work with.
We can work together with you to make this happen.

> o Finally, I had some issues with MIThread, MIThtreadInfo and
> MIThreadInfoInfo classes.
> These classes are Linux-oriented. When the device does not run Linux (like
> Kalray MPPA does), the implementation of these classes is not always
> accurate.
> Unfortunately, MIThreadInfoInfo.parse() is private - and therefore cannot
> be overridden.
> I will open a bug, and provide a patch to fix this issue.

Sure, no problem for that.

> 2. About showing the visualizer at the CDT summit.
> Yes ! it will be great ! Unfortunately, I probably will not have a MPPA device.
> However, I can run the demo on simulator, but it will be limited to one
> MPPA cluster (17 cores).

Sounds great!
Thanks!