Re: [cdt-dev] support for remote autotools

As the maintainer of the CDT Autotools plug-ins, if you are proposing making the Autotools
plug-in remote-enabled by replacing existing calls with the new PTP platform
APIs (i.e. no external dependencies), I wouldn't have issues
as long as existing functionality is preserved. Any API, functionality,
or UI changes, however, would require closer scrutiny.

I noticed that Rafael M. posted to the ptp-dev list in March
of 2013 to offer help in adding PTP Autotools remote project support.  Perhaps you
could team up with him such that you could make changes to the Autotools plug-ins
and he could add support on the RDT side if something isn't already in the works
in PTP.

If you were instead planning on reviving my old proposal which used the
project location, that would require buy-in from Doug.  That proposal was turned down,
even though it removed the external dependencies on RDT/RSE via proxy.  I should note that
I did bring it up for discussion at the 2013 CDT Summit and it didn't gain any traction
though Greg Watson proposed creating the new platform interfaces.  You would need a more
detailed proposal to get the right people's attention and approval.  There is the up-coming
2014 CDT Summit at EclipseCon if you are planning on attending.

-- Jeff J.