Re: [cdt-dev] Getting rid of non-existant errors, question about recognition of C++ standard things.

Am 21.12.2013 01:51, schrieb Nathan Ridge:
--- From n337 C++11 ---
Note: Although an implementation may provide a mechanism for making
arbitrary source files available to
the <> search, in general programmers should use the <> form for
headers provided with the implementation,
and the " " form for sources outside the control of the implementation.
---
Interesting, I didn't know that.
I know, that's why I started that discussion regarding the wx/* headers, since they are not part of an C or C++ implementation = compiler.
And I see that also very often.

A lot of libraries do not follow this convention, however. For example,
Boost headers include other Boost headers using the <> syntax.
Yes. Same as above. A lot of developers are not aware of that.
E.g. what happens if you have a library outside of the system include search path, which on windows is very common. If your compiler has no option to include to a system header path, you get in trouble. There was also some hints on the ##c @irc.freenode.net, system include headers don't have to be there physically, the compiler could provide them by other meanings. Also, I'm not sure if other compilers do the same, but e.g. CodeWarrior has strange header includes, that e.g. stdio.h includes cstdio and not the other way around, and the prototypes are in cstdio and not in stdio.h. I guess, that comes from the early era of C++, where stdio.h was used and not cstdio defined.

A similar thing I'm afraid of is the support of the "#pragma once" which is more and more used by developers instead of the common and everywhere supported preprocessor include guards. Not every compiler understands #pragma once, #pragma's are compiler specific.

If we make changes to the way CDT does include resolution, we should
make sure not to break such libaries.

Regards,
Nate