[cdt-dev] Problem in CDT 8.2 with Memory View using GDB Hardware Debugging

I have been looking using CDT 8.2 for GDB based Hardware Debugging and have been having problems with the Memory View. When adding a monitor if I select any of the default renderings, other than Traditional and Floating Point, all I see is a blank area where the table should be displayed. Using the Traditional rendering all memory is displayed as '????'. This happens with every GDB Hardware Debugging launch I have tried (connecting to a local GDB server).

In the release version of CDT 8.2 I cannot see any error being logged, however when debugging a locally built version I get the following error logged:

    !ENTRY org.eclipse.cdt.dsf 4 -1 2013-09-10 10:35:52.357
    !MESSAGE Uncaught exception in DSF executor thread
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.service.GDBMemory.isBigEndian(GDBMemory.java:197)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.service.GDBMemory$2.handleSuccess(GDBMemory.java:112)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.RequestMonitor.handleCompleted(RequestMonitor.java:376)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.RequestMonitor$2.run(RequestMonitor.java:303)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.ImmediateExecutor.execute(ImmediateExecutor.java:63)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.RequestMonitor.done(RequestMonitor.java:300)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.mi.service.MIMemory$2.handleSuccess(MIMemory.java:351)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.RequestMonitor.handleCompleted(RequestMonitor.java:376)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.RequestMonitor$2.run(RequestMonitor.java:303)
    at org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.concurrent.DefaultDsfExecutor$TracingWrapperRunnable.run(DefaultDsfExecutor.java:374)
    at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask$Sync.innerRun(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.access$201(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
I did a few quick checks and it appears initializeMemoryData in GDBMemory is never being called during a GDB Hardware Debugging session.

Has anyone else seen this issue? I have tried the released version of CDT 8.2 and locally built versions of both the 8.2 & master branches and experience the same issue. I've had a look and cannot see an existing bug, but wanted to check if this was already known before creating one.

Regards
William

William  Riley, Engineer, Systems, Eclipse, Renesas Electronics Europe Ltd, Dukes Meadow, Millboard Road, SL8 5FH, Bourne End, UK,  Phone:+44 1628 651-777, Fax:+44 1628 651-804, mailto:William.Riley@xxxxxxxxxxx, http://www.renesas.eu

This message is intended only for the use of the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this email (including any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or email  and permanently destroy the original without making any copy. Please note that any material and advice from this mail is provided free of charge and shall be used as an example for demonstration purposes only.

RENESAS MAKES NO WARRANTIES THAT THE USAGE OF INFORMATION OR ADVICE FROM THIS E-MAIL WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS (E.G. PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS). RENESAS CANNOT GUARANTEE BUG FREE OPERATION AND THE RECIPIENT WILL USE AND/OR DISTRIBUTE IT ONLY AT HIS OWN RISK. IN NO EVENT SHALL RENESAS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE.  The communication with Renesas Electronics Europe Ltd does not amend any written agreement in place.

Renesas Electronics Europe Ltd, Dukes Meadow, Millboard Road, Bourne End, Buckinghamshire, SL8 5FH, UK.  Registered in England & Wales under Registered No. 04586709.

Back to the top