[cdt-dev] Integrate custom debugger to visualize debug-session

Hey guys!

I've been struggling with this a few days now and I really hope that someone can help me here and maybe takes a few minutes to give me a few pushes into the right direction!

Here is what I got:

I got an object MDevice that represents a controller which program I want to debug. I already can single-step, run to breakpoints and all that stuff I would want to do with a debugger. I am also already able to resolve the program counter address to a specific line inside the source code. Needless to say that I can read out the registers and all that stuff too. All that works on a satisfying basis so this end does not need to be minded.

The whole source code is written in C and I am using a naked Eclipse Application plus the CDT Plug-in and another Plug-in called the "eclipseSDCC" (Plug-in for the compiler I'm using).

Here is what I want to do:

Now I want to visualize the debugging process - and of course - use as much of the CDT Plug-in as possible since I don't want to reinvent the wheel a dozens of times. I found the "How to write an Eclipse debugger" [1] and implemented the model so far but I struggle on such basic things like "highlighting the current instruction the instruction pointer refers to". Then I found this conversation [2] about the CDT-DSF which I took a look at too.

This leads me to the following questions:

- What would be the easiest and most reusing way to visualize my debugging session in Eclipse which would include at least "highlight current instruction", "display register contents" and (maybe) visualize the stack trace. Is there a way to reuse parts of the CDT Plug-in?

- Should I stay to the standard debug model which is used in the article [1] or should I take a closer look on the CDT-DSF model?

- Can anyone recommend me a good code example which I could download?

Thank you for any help. I'm really stuck here for days now even though I thought setting up the communication to my device I'd like to debug would be the much harder part.

Thank you for any help!

Best regards, Stefan.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-Debugger/how-to.html
[2] http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-dev/msg26119.html