Re: [cdt-dev] User survey: More CDT Refactorings - toggle function definition/namespace refactorings

On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Nathan Ridge <zeratul976@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> One participant asked for "change function signature" refactoring and I have to say this is very very hard to do well for C++. We tried! There are several reasons, especially when you
>> expect call sites to be adapted, one is overload resolution that might change due to a changed signature, so even if you called the function before the change changing it actually might
>> select a different overload at the call site,

> Please excuse my ignorance. Isn't the same overload resolution problem exist in Java?

Yes, but the overload resolution rules are more complex in C++.
You can have things like changing the signature of a template
overload causing that template to now be a better match than
another overload for some call sites. So, call sites can require
a more careful examination than in Java.

The same is true for method rename, isn't it?

Regards,
Nate

-sergey