[cdt-dev] CDT performance

Performance has been a source of complaints from our users for some time now.  Especially startup performance and build performance.  Slow startup also affects headless builds.

We’ve done some profiling to weed out the slow spots.  We used a real customer’s workspace with about 50 projects, 2 to 6 build-configurations in each, where the master project references only about 10 other projects in any of its build-configurations.  So far, we’ve found a few bugs that are responsible for some of the delays.  I’ve submitted the following defects with patches:

Bug 405744 - [performance] PropertyManager causes many unnecessary file-writes into workspace metadata

Bug 405643 - [performance] HoldsOptions performance improvements

Bug 405638 - [performance] CExternalSettingsManager causes all workspace project-descriptions to load prematurely

Bug 405511 - ResourceLookup.selectFile(...) causes deadlocks during project builds

All of these patches, combined, reduced the IDE startup time by about 40% in our profiled scenario.

Could the committers please have a look at these patches?

Thanks!

- Baltasar

Back to the top