Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Kepler on top of Eclipse Juno

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your update, your definition of 8.2 support for Juno as “second class but avoid breakage” sounds perfectly reasonable.

In fact it is much in line with WTP’s definition in the WTP project plan.

You are right that the Pin & Clone changes that Pawel is working on for Kepler Platform/Debug need to be in lockstep with Pin&Clone changes in CDT Kepler.

Our idea to support this on top of Platform Juno would be that whoever deploys CDT 8.2 would also deploy the two Platform Debug plugins from Kepler.

We’ve done initial validation that the Platform Debug plugins from Kepler run fine in a Juno Platform;

And I’ve got confirmation from the Eclipse Platform PMC that such flexible mix and match of components should be possible.

To quote John Arthorne, “Having wider ranges of tolerance [in our bundle compatibility] is something we should be able to do (otherwise our plugin system is failing)” [1]

Technically, it could be a “Patch Feature” delivered from the CDT Repo, which carries the Kepler debug plugins into the Juno Platform.

Thanks for asking the question, I’ll be happy to talk about next steps;

I suppose the next step would be setting up the Hudson Job to run CDT Kepler tests on Platform Juno.

[1] Jan 24 minutes, http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse/PMC

Thanks,

Martin

--

Martin Oberhuber, SMTS / Product Architect – Development Tools, Wind River

direct +43.662.457915.85  fax +43.662.457915.6