Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 09:12:36 +0100
From: t.csabina@xxxxxxxxx
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] problem creating a custom toolchain`s linker

Hello Sebastian,

I`ve also tried to have a simple flat toolchain. With 1 <projectType>, <configuration>, <toolChain>, <targetPlatform>, <builder>, and 2 <tools>, but got the same "Nothing to build" nightmare.

See attached plugin.xml, which contains this flat setup.

The reason I started to create a bit more complicated setup, with these base<projectType>, base<configuration>, etc., is because this is how the sample plugin (cdt.managebuilder.gnu.ui) is designed, and after keep getting "Nothing to build", I thought it is necessary to have these kind of base items.

Thank you for your time,
Tamas

>>> Sebastian Wagner <se.wagner@xxxxxx> 15-1-2013 21:13 >>>

 Hi Tamas,

this is extension point is used to add plugins with managed build (automatic make file generation,...) .. this is in fact what you did in your plugin.xml
Your definitions look basically ok. For the first step to make it work I would remove the superclass entries for linker compiler and builder:

<builder

id="w65c816.tool.builder.base"
superClass="w65c816.tool.builder">
</builder>
<tool
id="w65c816.tool.compiler.base"

superClass="w65c816.tool.compiler">

</tool>
<tool
id="w65c816.tool.linker.base"
superClass="w65c816.tool.linker">

In my plugin I just left them empty, so it uses the default. I didn't need to modify them because I understood they are just general - no need to adapt them to each specific tool, except you have a compiler or linker which behaves totally different from the default - or if you have a totally new tool. If you just have different options or things like the extension of the output file, ...  you just need to define it as you did.

Sebastian