From: Rafael Medeiros <rafaelmt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 3 January, 2013 11:46 AM
To: "cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Remote Autotools support

In the aforementioned Bug 373601, Greg has proposed two solutions for adding remote project support for CDT:

1- Separate PTP's remote API into another project. By doing this, CDT would depend on this new project, which provides local support only, and PTP would provide implementations for RSE and Remote Tools via Extension Points.

2- Push the remote API into CDT project. Again, just local support would be provided, and PTP would handle RSE and Remote Tools via Extension Points.

I would like to hear your thoughts on these two suggestions. The first one is less disruptive to CDT, as it would just add dependency to a lightweight project and require modifications throughout the code to use this API where remote support is desired. Number two doesn't convey the overhead of a new project, but adds considerable amount of code to CDT codebase.

I am willing to work on either of these solutions, but I would like to hear your thoughts on which would be more easily accepted before committing to either of them.

Regards,
Rafael M. Teixeira