Re: [cdt-dev] Getting started with CDT dev

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Marc Khouzam
<marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the info is not documented, then it is very fair to ask about it.

Marc,

Thank you for your help.  I started to keep a log of my problems and
their resolutions (see below if you are interested).  Currently item
(D) below is unresolved so perhaps you can help me with that.  Here is
the short version:

I'm supposed to install PDE/API/TED from
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.8milestones.
Unfortunately, Eclipse does not want to install any software from that
URL.

Thank you,

Chris

===

A. Installing the CDT
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Getting_started_with_CDT_development#Eclipse_Setup
"Install CDT on top on eclipse or install a separate copy of CDT 8.0".
 I assume this means CDT 8.1.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/policy#Using_API_Tooling
"Download the official CDT release ... Choose the CDT zip file you
just downloaded".  I'm confused that I'm offered only two download
options.

1) The first is called "p2 software repository:
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/juno";.  The URL is
invalid from a web browser and I suspect this link is used by
Eclipse's internal "app store" to install CDT.  Presumably this is not
what I am to use as I am supposed to "download".

2) The second link is called "Archived p2 repos:
cdt-master-8.1.0.zip".  This seems odd due to the word "archived"
which makes me think it is old.  Also weird is that it offers a .zip
file yet I'm using linux where .tar.gz is customary.  I'm going to try
to use this one.

Resolution: (2) worked fine.  I suspect option (1) would have worked
fine using the "app store" which I think is called "p2" in
eclipse-speak.

B. Creating a baseline

I don't know what a "baseline" is.  I assume it is a way for Eclipse
to look at the plugins it currently has installed, retrieve the source
code for them, and present the source code to me to edit.  Seems
far-fetched, but if true that would be pretty powerful.

The last section of
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/policy#Using_API_Tooling says "Once this
is done, a full build will be triggered."  Unfortunately for me "once
this is done" I did not notice a build.  I did not see my CPU usage go
up.  I don't know if anything happened and I don't know how to verify
yet whether it was a success or failure as I don't even know what a
baseline is.  Hopefully it will become clear as I work my way through
this.

Also I do not understand this instruction: "you can set it to its own
installation if it has CDT in it".

Update: Setting a baseline does not retrieve source.  I will use GIT
to do this.  So I'm confused about how creating a baseline could
possibly have caused a build to start.  Hopefully after I 'git
checkout' the source the build will at that time "just start".

C. Egit

naturally, I have no idea what Egit is.  I'm a little concerned about
"you can get it from Indigo update site" since I am not using indigo.
I'm going to assume this means "you can get it from the eclipse p2
software installer app store".

Resolution: Egit is a git frontend.  Just install it following the
egit instructions for whatever version of eclipse you have.

D. PDE/API TED

"Install PDE/API Tools Environment Descriptions from update site
http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.8milestones (see Bug
361660)".  Bug 361660 is resolved/fixed, so I wonder if I still need
to do this.  Naturally, I have no idea what is a PDT/API/TED.  I'm
going to try to skip this step.

Update: I am seeing bug 361660 errors so looks like I need this.

Update: "http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.8milestones";
reports errors like "could not find" and "this repo is currently
unavailable".  I'm stuck.

E. Cloning the git repo
"Cut & Paste following url in the first page of wizard for cloning".
I'm not sure what is "wizard for cloning".  I elected to instead use
File | Import | Git.

Update: this seems to be fine.  I'm a little overwhelmed about the
projects I can import.  Partially because there are so many.  But
mostly because I'm not sure why there is not just one "CDT" project.
I don't know which ones to specify.  Since the bug I want to fix is
related to the indexer I'm hoping I will find an "indexer" project.

Update: I saw nothing with "indexer" in the name.  I selected only the
project called "org.eclipse.cdt.core"

Update: I'm happy to see that a build started!  And I see source code!

Update: I do not see an "indexer" component.  I'll have to dig more for that.

Update: I see a build error related to PDE/API TED

Back to the top