[cdt-dev] pre-built index fragments and header variants

Hi guys, Its been a while since I posted here. I have some tough questions for the index experts...

Is it possible to generate a pre-built read-only index fragment that includes multiple variants of certain header files? I would be indexing just a set of header files, so there wouldn't actually be any source files including the headers at the time that the fragment is generated.

If a header is indexed more than once in the same linkage then how are duplicate bindings/names handled? If you did a general text search wouldn't the index potentially return duplicate bindings or names from each variant?

Normally if you navigate (F3) from a source file to a header I'm assuming the index knows in which variant to find the declaration/definition because the include relationship and significant macros are stored in the index. But, if the headers are in a separate read-only fragment then how would it know which variant to use?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Kucera
Rational Developer for Power
Performance Advisor UI Team Lead