Re: [cdt-dev] Indexer polluting the log file

We could log the exception every time there is a unresolved symbol. Or we can summarize it into a single log entry as we are doing now, maybe only logging it when there are unresolved symbols or other problems.

From: Cortell John-RAT042 <RAT042@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Friday, 24 August, 2012 9:18 AM
To: "CDT General developers list." <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Indexer polluting the log file

I'm sorry, but I have to respond to this one. This all makes perfect sense, but the crux of the matter lies in your last sentence.

"...option should be on per default in order to serve people that report problems."

Again, there is no shortage of problems that can occur in Eclipse. This rationale does not scale well. The log file would be jam packed with trace information if other feature developers took the same position. Perhaps, though, you would see that as acceptable. I suppose it's a matter of perspective on the role of the log file. What I am certain of is that, by and large, Eclipse project plug-in developers take the perspective that it's for error reporting and not tracing, certainly not tracing that's on by default.

John