Re: [cdt-dev] Indexer polluting the log file

On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Cortell John-RAT042 <RAT042@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My .log file is filled with things like this:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.cdt.core 1 0 2012-08-23 16:26:09.804

!MESSAGE Indexed 'testProject' (0 sources, 0 headers) in 0.00 sec: 0 declarations; 0 references; 0 unresolved inclusions; 0 syntax errors; 0 unresolved names (0.00%)

This is done by PDOMIndexerTask.traceEnd(long, IWritableIndex, boolean). The strange thing is the method conditionally writes a detailed dump to stdout based on an Eclipse trace option, but unconditionally writes a summary record to the .log file. I don’t think this is appropriate. The summary record should likewise be conditional on a tracing option. Also, as a matter of etiquette, the .log file should be reserved for warnings or error situations, not tracing. Tracing should go to stdout, a dedicated file, or {workspace}/.metadata/trace.log (by using DebugTrace)

Any objections to making these summary records conditional on an option and sending them to stdout?

Eclipse log supports info messages and this is one of them. I find it pretty useful and prefer not to make it conditional or to redirect to stdout. Does filtering in the Error Log view addresses your concern?

John

-sergey