Re: [cdt-dev] CDT build config references versus Platform project references

On 7 August 2012 14:28, Cortell John-RAT042 <RAT042@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Problem, though, is that CDT's configurations are still a CDT-ism. So, even if you enhance the platform's import feature to clean all build configurations, it's not going to have any affect on CDT projects. Until we make CDT's build configurations be platform ones, James work has no actual benefit for CDT--at least none that I can see.

I think I agree. AFAIK the platform's build configs are generic enough to allow CDT's config level builds to work properly and support all the use-cases mentioned in this thread.  Note that the platform doesn't persist the configs in the .project (an early version did...). Instead it is expected that integrations, such as CDT, configure up the configurations from their models.

The only issue I see for some of the use-cases is one of UI.

Now, the platform's Project References properties page is something that was not enhanced with James' work. That still only allows relationships at the project level. And of course, that has never been adequate for CDT, so that's why CDT has had its own Project References UI. Ideally, the platform's page should be enhanced to support build-configuration relationships, but that's not trivial. For one, it has to be done conditionally, since the concept of build-configurations are not relevant to most project types (in fact, I wonder if any projects other than CDT has it).

I know that others are using it - based on someone discovering that the delta trees could get mixed up!

The UI was a bit thorny, there was little desire to add it to the platform, as it really is tooling specific. Then again, I think if the project refs tab displayed the refs when they exist, that would be a definite plus.  It probably shouldn't  allow adding new configs though, as they're not persisted in the .project.

Cheers,
James

Back to the top