Re: [cdt-dev] 3.8 vs. 4.2

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 5:53 PM, kesselhaus <kesselhaus@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

>From my view as a user, I have encountered some things, that still work on 3.8 but not on 4.2.
Some seem to be even platform related.

a) the already mentioned buttons on Macro-Expansion Dialog are not even enabled in 4.2
b) When you have lots of files open, there is a button in the tab view with a number, when you click on it, a view appears with all open editors.
    When you right-click on a name, and close editors, this view is not updated in 4.2 unless you reopen the view.
c) (Linked) Resources  configuration, when you add path variables, they are not updated right away, you have to close the dialog and reopen it, before you can add more variables, which should extend your just created ones. (Well, they are shown in the dialog, but when you create another one, you can not extend one just created before).

Please file bugs for all UI problems you encounter in 4.2. It's the only way to avoid a scary possibility that a year from now 4.3 will be just as buggy as 4.2, but there will be no alternative in form of 3.9.

Such UI quirks go on an on, and somehow I feel, 4.x is just a move backwards than forward.

The same feelings I have for p2, which sometimes really seems to be stupid.
Like when updating something, and it says, it can't install, because a plugin of version x is already installed etc pp.
Somehow I also got the feeling, that using the timestamp in the release plugin versioning scheme was a bad idea.
I'm not sure, how many plugins have been rebuild with the same maj.minor.bugfix version, but just different timstamp, but I have come across many of them already. Sometimes, you can't even update the same plugin, becauuse of that quirks, and the only solution would be a uninstall of the old and then install the new version. Which makes the Update-option kind of useless.

I'm not a big fan of p2, but upgrade between plugins with the same versions but different timestamps works for me. Your problem may have a different cause.

If you ever wanted a directory compare on two eclipse installations, take a look on the different plugins, which have the same version numbers but just with a different timestamp .. you can't really compare that. For me, this make just no sense!
Questioning this approach on a bugzilla discussion was stopped kind of rude by the platform.

Interesting enough, that somehow all the packages on eclipse download page are now green check makrs, and not big red X's. Because the test results linked above are still red. How would that make much confidence for using eclipse 4.2?
On the other side, wasn't the main idea of 4.2, that everyone could style there eclipse to their likings using the EMF model and style sheets, but where are these tools? At least they are not included in the downloadable SDK packages. No, for this you would need to download the e4 packages with a version of what .. 0.12? Not very trustwoorthy the number. But what is now the real outcome of the 4.2 stream? AFAIK, that was now the 4th release of the 4.x stream.

Regards,
kessel

-sergey