From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eugene Ostroukhov
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 11:27 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] 3.8 vs. 4.2

I used 4.2 RC as my primary environment for weeks - and once I moved
to 3.8 it was such a relief. I would recommend other teams use 4.2 for
some time before making the decision - I used it to develop 3.7.x
product and it worked well, I used the same workspace for Eclipse
3.7.2, 4.2 and 3.8 and found no issues - so it is really simple to
give 4.2 a try.

In our team, I am advocating against a move to Eclipse4 for our
project (we make a CDT-based IDE for Linux and Mac developers).

Our product main target platform is Linux and Eclipse4 is outright
ugly there (even the classic theme has odd colors here and there). I
also see many problems with fast view management (e.g. dragging a fast
view is glitchy, shortcuts are reshuffled after the restart, etc) - so
I'm really concerned with the basic functionality being that broken
after years of development. E4 also seems to be perceivably slower (at
least on Ubuntu). Oh, and I'm really not sold on all the new features
(our project does not need custom styling and we rely heavily on CDT
and Eclipse Platform features that are the same in 3.8 and 4.2)

Eclipse 3.8 is really great. As Apple would say "Best Eclipse version
released so far".