Re: [cdt-dev] help getting started with CDT development

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Nathan Ridge <zeratul976@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I am getting started with CDT development for the first time,
so please bear with me.

I am having trouble exporting a plugin with changes that I've
made to an eclipse installation.

Here's what I did, mostly just following the instructions at
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Getting_started_with_CDT_development:

 - Installed Eclipse SDK, EGit, and PDE
 - Went into Git perspective, cloned the master branch of the CDT repo
 - Made a small change to code in org.eclipse.cdt.ui
 - Went into PDF perspective, right-clicked on org.eclipse.cdt.ui project, did Run As -> Eclipse Application
   - This works fine, and my change has taken effect
 - Did File -> Export -> Plug-in Development -> Deployable plug-ins or fragments

It's easier to use File -> Export -> Plug-in Development -> Deployable features. In the Export dialog I recommend selecting Archive file.

   - Selected org.eclipse.cdt.ui
   - Chose an existing eclipse installation as the target directory
   - I can see a new file org.eclipse.cdt.ui_5.4.0.201205232302.jar appeared
     in the plugins subdirectory of the target eclipse installation. Its timestamp
     is newer than the previous org.eclipse.cdt.ui jar file.
   - But when I run the target eclipse installation, my changes do not take effect,
     suggesting the old plugin is loaded instead of the new one.
      - If I remove the old plugin, eclipse starts but the windows are full of errors
        like "Could not create the view: org.eclipse.cdt.ui.typeHierarchy", suggesting
        that it tried to load the new plugin but failed.

I extracted the old and new plugin jars, and compared their contents, and found that the
following files, present in the old jar, are missing from the new:

META-INF/ECLIPSE_.RSA
META-INF/ECLIPSE_.SF
META-INF/eclipse.inf
META-INF/maven

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong, or how I can debug this further?

Thanks,
Nate

-sergey