Re: [cdt-dev] Eclipse CDT projects - clarification please?

Hi,

From a users view (not automated),
1) I usually get a sandbox from version control by external tool.
    e.g. D:\Sandboxes\ProjectSandboxName
2) I create a C project (e.g. Makefile) in the workspace. (MyProject)
3) I create some Linked resources Path Variables:
    SANDBOX_DIR --> D:\Sandboxes\ProjectSandboxName
SW_DIR --> Extend Variable SANDBOX_DIR --> SANDBOX_DIR\Software
    SOURCE_CODE --> Extend Variable SW_DIR  --> SW_DIR\SourceCode
    BUILD_WS          --> Extend Variable SW_DIR --> SW_DIR\workspace
4) Add some folders to the project using the Linked Resources Path Variables
    e.g. SourceCode --> SOURCE_CODE
            Workspace --> BUILD_WS
5) Add an externally (by build toolchain created) build.h as linked resource in order to have indexing work

6) Depending on Active Configuration setup build trigger (e.g. call ${workspace_loc:/MyProject/Workspace/make}/make_target.bat)
7) Add all the include paths by hand -- this is the most tedious part!

Problem in 3) The path variables are not available right after you added them, you have to close the dialog and open it again. Problem in 7) With all the sub directory hierarchy of the project, that is the worst part, since our toolchain does not output compiler options! And the Add Include Dialog does not allow to add multiple selections to the Paths&Symbols list (which I already stated long enough). Changing the directory selection dialog to something like it is used with import/export directory dialogs (with the checkboxes) would help pretty much!

Comparing project configuration between MSVS and Eclipse, to get an VS feeling in Eclipse, you should the have the project in the workspace and add all the files as linked resources to the project. Maybe exclude files from build configuration afterwards (to "ignore it in Eclipse project"