Re: [cdt-dev] Outline has "pending" for a long time

Hi Marc,

Thanks a lot for your input, I will try running Eclipse with below parameters.

From our observation, Eclipse was slower in context of code navigation (F3, etc.).

I really appreciate all the comments. It would be great if someone could comment regarding my original question ("Outline" view and amount of time it show "Pending" on one line header file). J

Thanks a lot,

Yevgeny

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Marc-Andre Laperle
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 10:02 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Outline has "pending" for a long time

On 3/4/2012 6:16 PM, Sergey Prigogin wrote:

2.      Some colleagues that used Indigo stated that it is significantly slower in context of navigation. There were some functionality added, maybe it affected performance.

This doesn't match my experience.

Exactly which navigation feature are we talking about? I've been noticing pauses sometimes when opening files, saving files and when doing other actions. But those pauses are fairly short so I can't capture a thread dump. I think it might be garbage collection running. I use -Xmx1000m in my eclipse.ini which should be plenty but I see the heap status grow and shrink very often. I've been thinking that it might be the computation of the active AST that allocates a lot of memory. This is with a fairly recent build of 8.1.0. I'll try to use -verbose:gc to figure out if GC is taking a lot of time.

The standard way of troubleshooting slowness is to capture Eclipse thread dump during an unusually long delay.

Yevgeny, perhaps you could also check for GC performance? In eclipse.ini, add -consoleLog before -vmargs and -verbose:gc after -vmargs

It would be great if someone could refer to my questions/comments from original mail

Thanks a lot,

Yevgeny

-sergey