Re: [cdt-dev] Non-workspace files support still requires a workspace project

I opened a bug report - https://bugs.eclipse.org/371562

I have this working in our product and it seems to work ok, except for inactive code highlight.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:23 PM, Doug Schaefer <cdtdoug@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Eugene Ostroukhov
<eostroukhov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> We have an RCP application that wants to use CDT source editor as a viewer
> for files stored anywhere in the file system. I've noticed that CDT requires
> at least one workspace project to enable some features on non-workspace
> files (i.e.  https://bugs.eclipse.org/371144, semantic highlighting, even
> editor icon is different depending on whether or not there's a workspace
> project).
>
> In our RCP application I am going to create an empty project. I wonder if
> this should be done on CDT level.
>
> Apparently, there's support for hidden projects
> (http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/489624/). CDT could create a new
> hidden project and use it instead of random "first project" in
> org.eclipse.cdt.internal.ui.util.EditorUtility:388. This way markers and
> such will work even when there's no projects in workspace and markers will
> not be deleted when user deletes unrelated user project.
>
> Should I open a bug and work on a patch?

It would be interesting to know what the workflow works like and how
well semantic highlighting and other index based features work in this
environment. I think we need to meet a certain quality criteria before
we'd include it in the CDT. A bug would be good so we can track that
information as you figure it out.

Doug.