Re: [cdt-dev] Autotools contribution

On 01/10/2012 09:57 AM, Schaefer, Doug wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Andrew Overholt
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 9:10 AM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Autotools contribution

While you are at it, will gcov and gprof be moved too?

There are currently no plans to do so.  If we want to talk about a full-scale
annexing of Linux Tools by CDT then those make sense :)

So far I've really only been thinking about build systems, especially if we have a round of cleaning up the CDT build infrastructure.

I think it is clear though, that a lot of the things going on in Linux Tools is of interest to the general CDT community. Moving things around won't always make sense, unless there is a lot of demand from the non-Linux CDT crowd for these tools. Autotools was obvious because of the MinGW/MSYS support for it.

:D

Hi Doug,

I think without any bugzilla or ipzilla issues, I believe we are good to go. See Wayne's note about leaving the bugs in place for the mean-time.

I had a thought the other day. If you wanted to, we could move the plug-ins/features without refactoring the package names. I have seen this before. This would remove any compatibility issues with existing projects. The current package names have org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt so CDT is mentioned.

Either way is ok with me. I have already done it the hard way using refactoring and I have a compatibility strategy whereby we still need to have a plug-in in CDT with the name org.eclipse.linuxtools.cdt.autotools.core with just a Builder extension in it and the new CDT version of the Autotools feature needs some special p2.inf properties that will note it provides an update path to the old Autotools feature. I can provide a patch once you have put the code in the CDT git repository.

-- Jeff J.