Re: [cdt-dev] Eclipse/CDT policy on native libraries?

I can't speak authoritatively for the CDT team but there are certainly native fragments that are shipped with Eclipse as a whole; the most obvious being SWT.

However those are compiled on Eclipse infrastructure. I doubt that you would be able to just put a binary compiled elsewhere into an official Eclipse distribution.

There is also a strict IP process at Eclipse for getting third party code in Eclipse, which is non trivial.

Finally CDT, like Eclipse, runs on many platforms and to be successful the component would either need fallback Java behaviour or be supported natively on each. The SWT team do this for SWT and the onus would be on the CDT team to support this going forwards if it were added.

Please note that these are my thoughts generally on native code at Eclipse rather than a CDT view; I am only a passing observer.

Alex

Sent from my iPhone 4S